An Illinois high school student was killed in a “Fast and Furious” crash shortly before graduation by a suspected drunk driver who was speeding at 131 miles per hour

A high school senior's promising future was tragically cut short three weeks before graduation after he was involved in a devastating car accident that split his car in half. Authorities say the Illinois teenager was killed in a “fast and furious” accident caused by a drunk driver who was speeding at 131 miles per hour and had his lights off.

On May 12 around 11 p.m., 21-year-old Taeyoung Kim was reportedly driving his 2021 Ford Mustang at speeds of more than 130 miles per hour in Glenview, Illinois – a suburb about 20 miles northwest of Chicago.

According to police, Kim's own dashcam caught him speeding, aggressively overtaking other vehicles and running a red light.

According to court documents, witnesses claimed to have seen Kim driving with her headlights off. Kim allegedly turned his headlights back on as he entered an intersection. However, it would be too late.

Kim's Mustang crashed into a Mercedes driven by 17-year-old Marko Niketic.

The impact of the impact was so powerful that Niketic's car was split in half – the front half lying on the road and the back half flying into a nearby backyard fence.

WMAQ-TV reported, citing the court's offering, that Kim's vehicle was traveling at 131 mph just 2.5 seconds before the crash and was traveling at 122 mph at the time of impact, according to the vehicle's black box emerges.

The speed limit on Lake Avenue at the scene of the accident is 35 miles per hour.

Niketic was pronounced dead at the scene.

Niketic's 16-year-old girlfriend, who was in the passenger seat at the time of the car accident, suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a hematoma in the brain, a fracture of the pelvic vertebrae, and hyperdensity of the left frontal lobe of the brain with loss of consciousness and seizures.

A passenger in Kim's vehicle also suffered serious injuries, including a broken back and a severed artery.

Niketic's unnamed girlfriend and Kim's passenger were both hospitalized in critical condition.

The friend was reportedly released from the hospital on Friday.

Kim is said to have suffered a broken femur in the car accident.

A blood test showed Kim had a blood alcohol level of 0.088 – above the legal limit. The test also revealed he had cannabis in his system, according to court documents.

During their investigation, police found a bong, rolling papers, a one-hitter cannabis pipe with residue, and two plastic containers with cannabis residue in Kim's vehicle.

Kim was arrested Friday and charged with two counts of aggravated drunken driving resulting in death, involuntary manslaughter, aggravated drunken driving resulting in serious bodily injury, drunken driving while under the influence of alcohol, drunken driving under the influence of drugs and several traffic violations, including speeding at 35 miles per hour. accused.

Kim is being held without bond.

Kim appeared in court for the first time on Saturday as the judge said the “fast and furious fatal accident” was a “brazen disregard for human life.”

His next court date is scheduled for May 24.

Niketic's heartbreaking death occurred exactly three weeks before his scheduled graduation from Glenbrook South High School on June 2nd. The teenager's funeral took place two days before his prom.

Last week, a vigil was held near the crash site attended by a heartbroken Niketic's family.

Preston Shute, a friend of Niketic, told NBC Chicago: “He's one of those people, you meet him and he lights up. The most sincere person ever. He had a lot of things ahead of him. I can't really process it.”

Do you like Blaze News? Bypass the censorship, sign up for our newsletter and get stories like this delivered straight to your inbox. Login here!

Northbrook man charged with drunken driving in crash that killed teenager in

Anna Harden

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *