In Connecticut – The Trek

As I write this post, I'm lying in my tent just outside of Kent, Connecticut, waiting for an overnight rainstorm to end. The last few days of hiking in New York have been relatively easier than the earlier ones in the state, allowing me to squeeze in some (for me) relatively long days of hiking in the 17-20 mile range. In my last post, I forgot to share a major event from my time in New York, so I'll start there.

Greetings to Mary Karb and family

Mary Karb is a college friend of my wife Michele. When Mary heard of my plans to hike the AT months ago, she let Michele know that her house was near the trail and that she would be willing to help me if I was in the area. I contacted her and we arranged for her to pick me up at an exit off the Palisades Parkway on a Friday. The day before the scheduled pickup, Luna and I got caught in a bad early morning thunderstorm—thunder, lightning, high winds, and heavy downpours. I tried to use my tent roof to create a makeshift shelter, which helped, but we both got pretty wet. Luna was curled up on my lap, shivering. I called Mary and asked if she could pick me up at a different location and a day early. She said give me 20 minutes and I'll pick you up. What a relief. And Mary and her family members, her husband Billy, their two children, and her son-in-law, couldn't have been more gracious hosts. While I was there I was able to take care of the 4 big needs of a long distance hiker: laundry, hot shower, phone charging and food. A nice warm bed and a good night's sleep made the visit even more enjoyable. In the evening we had Italian takeaway and Mary even made me a bag of gorp for my hike. Thank you Mary and family, you are true hiking angels. Luna even got along well with Mary's daughter's dog, Lilly, pictured below.

Visit from Michele

I had one more hiking intervention while I was in New York. My wife Michele drove down to pick up Luna on May 27th. We stayed at a beautiful inn (Curry Estate) right next to the trail in Hopewell Junction. Unfortunately, Michele arrived exhausted from a trip to Phoenix and then there was a widespread power outage due to a storm. The inn had no backup power source. We decided to stay there anyway. When the power came back on, we looked for a nearby restaurant to celebrate our upcoming 20th anniversary. Since it was a Monday and the power was out, we kept running out of options. We ended up driving to Fishkill and eating at the Red Line Diner. Not exactly a romantic candlelit dinner, but we had a good meal. The next morning, Michele got me back on the trail and drove off with Luna in tow.

Disclosure for Partners

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek receives a percentage of any product or service you purchase through the links in the articles or advertisements. The purchaser pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase supports The Trek's ongoing goal of providing you with quality advice and information on backpacking. Thank you for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

Anna Harden

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *