15-year-old girl from Massachusetts shot dead hours before graduation

A Massachusetts teenager was shot and killed just hours before her high school graduation – and her older boyfriend was arrested for the murder.

Ahliana Dickey, 15, was found dead of gunshot wounds in a first-floor bedroom of her Lowell home Friday night, the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office said.

Dickey was supposed to attend her middle school graduation that day, officials said. When she didn't show up, her family became concerned and went to the house to look for her.

Ahliana Dickey was found dead on Friday evening. Facebook / Teresa Ann

The teenager's grandmother called police around 6:10 p.m. to report the gruesome discovery, the district attorney said.

When police arrived at the scene, they learned that Dickey was in an abusive relationship with an older man, later identified as 21-year-old Trevor Bady.

Shortly after midnight on Friday, Lowell authorities received a call from one of Ahliana's neighbors who reported that a man and a woman were arguing loudly across the street, the official statement said.

Ahliana Dickey (left) is said to have been killed in a domestic dispute. Facebook / Stephanie Wetherbee

The woman was heard screaming: “Go away, get away from me, I don't want to be with you anymore,” before shots were fired, the caller claimed.

“Police arrived at the scene but those involved could not be located,” the official statement said.

Surveillance video recovered from the crime scene shows Dickey calling for help shortly before midnight and a male suspect leaving her house at about the same time, the report said.

The day after the murder, police discovered that Bady had taken an Uber to and from Dickey's house before and after the shooting.

A GoFundMe campaign aims to raise $20,000 for the teenager's family to cover expenses. Facebook / Stephanie Wetherbee

One of the Uber drivers was questioned and identified her passenger as Bady.

Bady, of Tweksbury, was arrested without incident in Peabody on Monday.

He pleaded not guilty to murder, armed burglary, illegal possession of a firearm and other charges in Lowell District Court on Tuesday and was ordered held without bail.

Two days before Dickey's murder, the teenager allegedly told someone that Bady had threatened to kill her and her grandmother, the prosecutor said in court, according to CBS News.

Travor Bady must appear in court again on July 30.

Ahliana Dickey's family began to worry when she didn't show up for her eighth-grade graduation.
Facebook / Stephanie Wetherbee

“My worst fears have come true. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone who loses a child,” Dickey's father, Scott Dickey, wrote on Facebook on Monday.

As of Tuesday afternoon, a GoFundMe campaign for Dickey's family had raised more than $10,600 of the $20,000 goal.

With post wires

Anna Harden

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *